Hills Road Sixth Form College - 0.83 miles
Hills Road Sixth Form College is a state funded co-educational sixth form college in Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, England. Its name comes from Hills Road, on which the college is situated. There are full-time AS and A-level courses for approximately 1,800 16-19 year-old students and also around 5,000 part-time students taking part in our adult education programme, mainly on evening classes. The College site also contains the Hills Road Sports and Tennis Centre. Some of the courses offered are Accounting, Archaeology, Art and Design, Art history, Biology and Human Biology, Business studies, Chemistry, Classical Civilisation, Computing, Dance, Drama and Theatre Studies, Economics, Electronics, and English Language.
Gog Magog Golf Club - Cambridge - 1.21 miles
The Gog Magog Golf Club, established in 1901, has long been the favourite Cambridge golf course for top class amateur events with the special appeal of two championship quality golf courses. With the addition of the Wandlebury, the Gog Mogog Golf Club provides one of the best golf complexes in East Anglia. The relative altitude of both courses improves both the view and the drainage, the courses being reliably open throughout the year. The additional course means that the Gogs can accommodate members and visiting societies without congestion for most of the week.
Abbey College Cambridge - 1.29 miles
Abbey College Cambridge is an independent sixth-form college. Since our foundation in 1994 we have achieved an outstanding record of success, demonstrated in terms of both A-level results and the destinations of our students. We provide an academically challenging environment in which our students can realise their potential. Our students are treated as young adults and are expected to adopt a responsible attitude to their studies. Approachable tutors, small classes, course-specific notes and supplementary individual tuition all help maximise student achievement.
Fitzwilliam Museum - 1.77 miles
The Fitzwilliam Museum was founded in 1816 by the bequest of the VIIth Viscount Fitzwilliam of Merrion to the University of Cambridge. It contains magnificent collections of works of art and antiquities of national and international importance spanning centuries and civilisations, displayed in 25 galleries. Highlights include antiquities from Egypt, Greece and Rome, oriental art, Korean ceramics, English and European pottery and glass, sculpture, furniture, armour, illuminated manuscripts, coins and medals, Japanese prints, masterpieces of painting and drawing by Domenico Veneziano, Leonardo da Vinci, Titian, Rembrandt, Rubens and Van Dyck..
University of Cambridge - 2.08 miles
The University of Cambridge is rich in history - its famous Colleges and University buildings attract visitors from all over the world. But the University's museums and collections also hold many treasures which give an exciting insight into some of the scholarly activities, both past and present, of the University's academics and students. The University of Cambridge is one of the oldest universities in the world and one of the largest in the United Kingdom. Its reputation for outstanding academic achievement is known world-wide and reflects the intellectual achievement of its students, as well as the world-class original research carried out by the staff of the University and the Colleges.
Kings College - Cambridge - 2.17 miles
King's was founded in 1441 by King Henry VI. His first design was modest, but by 1445 was intended to be a magnificent display of royal patronage. There were to be a Provost and seventy scholars, occupying a substantial site in central Cambridge whose drastic clearance involved the closure of several streets. The college was granted a remarkable series of feudal privileges, and all of this was supported by a substantial series of endowments from the King. King Henry VI had admired the achievements of William of Wykeham, who had founded the twin colleges of New College, Oxford (King's College's Sister College) and Winchester College in 1379. He subsequently modelled the establishment of King's and Eton College upon the successful formation of Wykeham's institutions. Indeed, the link that King's College and Eton College share is a direct copy of the link shared between New College and Winchester College. The four colleges continue to share formal ties to this day. Originally, the college was to be specifically for boys from Eton College. It was not until 1865 that the first non-Etonian undergraduates arrived to study at King's, and the first fellow to have not attended Eton was elected in 1873. The connection with Eton is now weak, but a scholarship to attend the college, exclusively available to students from Eton, is still awarded each year. The very first buildings of the college, now part of the Old Schools, were begun in 1441, but by 1443 the decision to build to a much grander plan had been taken. That plan survives in the 1448 Founders Will describing in detail a magnificent court with a chapel on one side. But within a decade, civil war (the Wars of the Roses) meant that funds from the King began to dry up. By the time of his deposition in 1461, the chapel walls had been raised 60 ft high at the east end but only 8 ft at the west; a building line which can still be seen today as the boundary between the lighter stone below and the darker above. Work proceeded sporadically until a generation later in 1508 when the Founder's nephew King Henry VII was prevailed upon to finish the shell of the building. The interior had to wait a further generation until completion by 1544 with the aid of King Henry VIII. It has been speculated that the choice of the college as a beneficiary by the two later Henrys was a political one, with Henry VII in particular concerned to legitimate a new, post-civil war Tudor regime by demonstrating patronage of what was by definition the King's College. Later building work is marked by an uninhibited branding with the Tudor rose and other symbols of the new establishment, quite against the precise instructions of the Founders Will. Henry VI is not completely forgotten at the College, however, the Saturday after the end of Michaelmas term each year is Founder's Day which begins with a Founder's Eucharist in the chapel, followed by a Founder's Breakfast with ale and culminating in a sumptuous dinner in his memory called "Founder's Feast" to which all members of College in their last year of studies are invited.